We got up early this morning, well, early for a day off, and rode the bikes to the boat. We’d both been fantasizing about the ride and the job we’d do once we got there all week long so we were out of the house within an hour of jumping out of bed.
The ride was fast and cool under a cloudy winter sky but it never takes us more than a half hour to get to the marina from the community. It’s about a five mile ride through the incredible Bluff Point State Park that spits us out practically on top of the marina in Noank.
The job for this week was the demolition of our piece-of-shit, power hog of a top loading refrigerator. Age unknown, model unknown, manufacturer who cares? The thing has got to go!
This past summer we discovered that we only had two major power draws on our entire system and those were the auto helm which wasn’t really that much and the fridge. The rest of the boat runs off the most cutting edge in 21st century power efficiency. LED lighting through-out the boat, 18 lights in all that draw a total of 1.8 amps when everything is turned on and our chart plotting, navigational, radar system which draws a total of 2.1 amps while it’s running. We have two fans that draw 1.5 amps each when on the low setting and when everything is on it draws a little more then half of what the fridge draws when it kicks on, which, by-the-way, was all the freaking time on those hot summer days.
So the fridge had to go!
We thought at first it would be a quick demo like the starboard cabinetry but we discovered almost immediately that this sucker was built right, most likely by the first owners or by the manufacturer as a ice box.
The compressor was located in the starboard-side aft lazarette on a fucked-together shelf next to the starter battery. It had so much rust on it when we bought the boat that we thought the previous owner was lying when he said it got cold. The only reason we didn’t replace it almost immediately was the fact that it worked, and I mean tenaciously. Just the fact that it worked at all made me respect the thing, well the manufacturers anyway and it was such a pain in the ass to get to that we just kept using it. We both agree that that was a mistake.
I got the tile off easy enough while Dena pulled the compressor out of the lazarette.
After the easy part was out of the way we grabbed the sawzall and had some fun!
After that we switched off digging out the old insulation and fiberglass.
…I love this shit!
As Dena continued to plow into the Styrofoam and fiberglass I took load after load to the dumpster of the detritus and I barely kept up.
Each time I’d come back with the dock cart she’d have the cockpit full of busted up refrigerator parts just waiting for me.
Until finally we were looking at bare hull.
That space is going to be the bulk of a pilot’s berth, plus a hell of a lot of storage space and a couple of cat hammocks. We’re going to cut a hole in the aft bulkhead (the farthest wall back in the picture) large enough for our feet and calves. The head of the berth will be just this side of the other bulkhead, the one we cut back. We put a nice curve in the top so that it would still be strong without having any sharp corners.
Tomorrow, we scrape and clean (after a couple hours of work on our day off, but that’s another post). Then, Thursday is break-out-the-chemicals day. Stay tuned.