Fuertaventura, Canaries, to Santiago, Cabo Verde, Day 9

Thursday, July 11 Dena’s 1700-1800 watch The wind varies a little, but we’ve been making 3.5 knots on average since noon. The gentle breeze doesn’t feel like enough for that progress, but we are running with it and this is the standard direction of the current. Some combo of factors is keeping the sail full and helping us keep our mileage high. It’s hard to use a forecast this old with any hope it’ll be correct but they did call it on the wind easing last night. If things go as forecasted, we’ll probably have to motor at least part of tonight. We can cover about 50M very slowly, so we’ll have to bail to an anchorage if we use a bunch of that power and have another gloomy, low-sun day tomorrow. I’ve marked a handful of options for places to stop, but I’d rather sail slowly on through if that’s an option. We’ll see! Dena’s 2100-2400 watch Full main! It’s good to see the whole thing up. If the wind dies much more, I’ll have to reef so it doesn’t flop. We’re close enough that the wind dying out is a bit worrisome. We’ll have to conserve battery power for use when it’s needed, but we could motor to a temporary anchorage from where we are right now, if needs be. It’s all about patience at this point, which is surprisingly accurate to how I thought this trip would go! Friday, July 12 Dena’s 0300-0600 watch  Motoring. Not much to say about that except to be glad, again, that I’m not sitting over continuous explosions. I did have to drop the main altogether right after my watch started. Left it a mess out of an excess of hope but it’s almost the end of my watch and it’s still[…]

Read more