And this is…

Where we go from here. About a million years ago when we were in Norwalk, Connecticut, I (James) noticed a little crack in the bulkhead between the main saloon and the head just under the mast.  Well I’d better let Dena tell you about that… Last summer, we pulled the mast to repair rot in the bulkhead James just told you about.  I (Dena) patched the damn thing rather than tear it all out, because to do otherwise would require us moving off the boat.  In that big ol’ job, one piece of rot was right under the mast. This part of the bulkhead is thin because of the passageway cut through it.  A crack developed where the weight stressed the rotten section.  I cut and chiseled out the bad parts and beveled the edge of what remained.  My repair looked like this after the new pieces were cut but before they were fiberglassed into place. The process of working on the boat in Norwalk got us looking around at the boat, thinking critically about some things we hadn’t focused on.  Like the doors getting out of whack, harder to close.  And then James pointed out the crack. We hoped that it wouldn’t matter much but as we made our way up the Eastern Seaboard the crack slowly widened from the stresses of being under sail all the fucking time. Last Friday after getting underway from Beverly, MA, just after we set sail, I (James) grabbed a couple of flat-head screwdrivers and tuned up the rig. If you want your sailboat to point as high into the wind as it possibly can you have to tune the rig in a way that is tight, but not too tight.  It has to be perfect.  Each wire leading from the mast to[…]

Read more