Realizing Color

James’s artistry has taught me (Dena, of course) so much about apprehending the beauty around me. He shows me the world through his photos, which also trains my eye to linger on line and shadow, contrast and texture. He’s also one hell of a color schemer, and our very own S/V S.N. Cetacea needed a color reboot. We did the green and beige thing on Nomad, plus this hull just begs for something more…intense. In addition, the wood on the toerail and under the green strip had thirty-six years of weathering and rough cleaning. It didn’t just need spiffing up; it had to be repaired. If you look at the top right of the picture above, you’ll see that there are fastener heads poking up above the level of the wood. Those began life snuggled under bungs. They haven’t worked their way up. The wood has been worn down by at least…oh…four to six millimeters? The scarf (where the two pieces of wood are mated together with a jagged joint) was structurally unsound. My challenge was to salvage a terribly thinned rail and stop the degradation. My desire was to make it beautiful in the end. After I removed the bolts reinforcing the scarfs, I worked West System’s awkwardly named G/flex 650 epoxy into the holes and between the two pieces of wood. A pleasingly ample amount squeezed out when I applied the clamp. I slathered the rest of the damaged wood with more epoxy than it needed on the first round with the plan of sanding it down even. That worked! And then I thickened batch after batch of G/flex with colloidal silica and applied it with every tool at my disposal: mixing stick, spreader, and hands. I used my hands because the rough cleaning I mentioned above had[…]

Read more