Mast unstepped

On Monday, nice and early, we pulled into the empty slip almost directly in front of the crane. A salty long-haired guy caught the bow line and somehow managed to help us into the slip without being irritating. (Usually we refuse all assistance.) He seemed surprised to see us, an impression made stronger when a workboat towed a mastless cat boat into the same (rather large) slip we were in. They angled us as deep in as they could and pulled that cat boat very close behind in order to put their mast in before they pulled ours out. Now, I don’t want to go on and on about this, but I’m pretty sure that the guy from the office (who incidentally also operated the crane) forgot us…or didn’t believe we would actually arrive…or who knows what. After all our prep, it was a mighty relief to have that same guy who met us at the slip start talking about how he would go about pulling our mast. And away it went. Then we took Cetacea and Beluga Greyfinger back out on the hook. And thus it began. A project almost four years in the making. We spent the first day taking everything apart that we could and walking endless inspection circles around the mast. We pulled the masthead fitting and all the rigging and laid them aside as gently as possible while touching and inspecting every single fitting as much as we could. The yankee foil looked like a broken marionette so we slowly and ever so meticulously took the entire furler system apart, piece by tiny confusing piece, laying it out on on the gravel pit that was our work bench. Our roller furling systems (above) are some seriously smart-monkey shit, and I do mean put together like[…]

Read more